Explore The Area
The Old Forge Glamping and Munny Trail are situated in the picturesque Coolkenna area in Co. Wicklow, near Stookeen Hill and Ireland’s famous Wicklow Way. There is a reason Co. Wicklow is called ‘the garden of Ireland’. The region’s landscapes are spectacular, and the area is a favourite among hikers, horse riders and weekend ‘staycationers’ alike.
Our Local Partners
The area around The Old Forge Glamping and Munny Trail is popular with outdoor enthusiasts for its adventures by horseback or by foot, mountains and cultural sights. No matter what brings you here, you’ll never run out of things to do.
Whether going to Waterlilies for a fresh loaf of their renowned sourdough bread and coffees, doing a tour of the beautiful Huntington Castle or stopping into the Crablane Pub for a refreshing drink after hiking the Wicklow Way, we have a wonderful range of local business partners we like to recommend to guests.
- Waterlillies Cafe – A wonderful artisan bakery and coffee shop specialising in sourdough bread and pastries. You can find us in Tullow market square.
- Sha Roe Bistro – Sha-Roe Bistro, a multi-award winning bistro nestled in the picturesque village of Clonegal, Co. Carlow. Early booking required.
- Rathwood – family friendly cafe and restaurant called The MerryTree
- Huntington Castle Tea Rooms – open May to Sept – 11am to 5pm. In the 17th Century Barn, sits our Tea Rooms & Gift Shop. Opened in 2010 by the current owners, the Tea Rooms are a welcoming space to relax and enjoy a coffee & a treat before exploring the beautiful Huntington estate.
- Tinahely Farm Shop and Playbarn – excellent cafe with delicious local ingredients, owned by a member of the Ballymaloe family this is a rare gem located in Tinahely just 15 minutes drive. There is also a playbarn area for children suitable for young children. It has a pedal car racing track, an indoor beach and a fabulous bric a brac shop selling pottery, wool rugs and antiques.
- The Chocolate Garden of Ireland – Luxury Irish handmade chocolates in Ireland perfect for gifts, novelties, personalised chocolates and chocolate making workshops!
Local Equestrian Venues:
- Whitewell Equestrian Centre Carnew – A fabulous set up and riding out in the woods
- Doyles Equestrian Centre – Riding and Livery yard located in Rathvilly just a fifteen minute drive. Keep an eye out for showjumping events here.
- Tinahely Riding Club – If you are bringing your horse to the Munny Trail it may be worth staying an extra night and going to an event at Tinahely Riding Club!
- Crablane Pub – a great spot to trek to with your pony and have a pint or a glass of whatever takes your fancy. There is live music on the first Saturday of every month. The pub has had a long history in the local community and the owners have some great stories to tell!
- The Dying Cow – The world famous pub, popular among hikers, sits on the Wicklow way and there is a traditional session every 2 weeks.
- Egans Bar – Wicklow’s hidden ‘old world’ Irish pub with plenty of Irish charm. Go for a pint or to enjoy one of their regular traditional music sessions.
Outdoor Adventures & Activities:
- Greenaun Maze – If you are nature lovers or just looking to do something fun this is a must. Located a 40 minute drive away this is a really special place for children.
- Clara Lara Fun Park – Located just a thirty minute drive from us here and so much fun for kids.
- Go With The Flow – River Adventures – Go with the Flow River Adventures offer guided river treks, multi-day trips, canoe hire, courses and much more.
- Bunclody Golf and Fishing Club – Drivers range, golf course, delicious food and you can even go fishing!
- Ballymoney Beach – A lovely unspoilt beach located a 45 minute drive through the beautiful town of Gorey and all it has to offer by way of restaurants and boutique shops.
Historic and Cultural:
- Huntington Castle – Huntington Castle & Gardens has been a family home since 1625, situated in the picturesque historical village of Clonegal, County Carlow. Enjoy the Garden Woodlands and Playground as well as fascinating castle tours.
- Altamont Gardens – Stunning gardens located 15 minute drive and free entry. Check out the River Walk which includes stepping stones for kids and a stunning house and lake.
- Pathana Gardens Kiltegan – The owners TJ and Simon have curated a botanical dream here at Pathana. The most beautiful gardens in County Wicklow and located just twenty minutes away.
- Mangans Loop Walk Tinahely – If your group like hiking, this is a must. There are several looped walks, don’t forget to pack a sandwich and some water!
- Rathgall Ring Fort – A rare historic gem. Kids will also love rambling around this hidden gem.
- Aghowle Medieval Church – Located within walking distance of The Old Forge Glamping and very close to The Crablane Pub.
- Olde Shillelagh Stick Makers – Book by appointment and check out these stunning Shillelagh Sticks.
- Coolattin House and Golf Club – Stunning Golf Course
- Tomnafinogue Woods – The Greenway of Tinahely and Shillelagh. Looped or Railway Walks. Suitable for small bicycles. Located just 15 minutes away.